Branches Counseling Addiction
Comprehensive Individual, Adolescent, Couples, and Family Therapy
Those at risk for developing serious alcohol and drug problems include those:
- with a family history of substance abuse
- who have experienced recent loss
- who have low self-esteem, and
- who feel like they don't fit in or are out of the mainstream
Warning signs of alcohol and drug abuse may include:
- Physical: Fatigue, repeated health complaints, weight loss, hair loss, skin changes, teeth/mouth issues, red and glazed eyes, and a lasting cough.
- Emotional: withdrawn, bursts of anger, personality change, sudden mood changes, irritability, irresponsible behavior, low self-esteem, poor judgment, depression, and a general lack of interest.
- Family: argumentative, breaking rules, or withdrawing from the family.
- School/Work: decreased interest, negative attitude, drop in grades, many absences, increased conflict, and disciplinary actions taken.
- Social problems: loss of friends, change in activities, secretive behavior, new friends who are less interested in standard home and work/school activities, problems with the law, changes to less conventional styles in dress and music, and decreased personal hygiene.
Some of the warning signs listed above can also be signs of other problems. Family and friends may recognize signs of trouble but should not be expected to make the diagnosis.
If you suspect that someone close to you is using/abusing alcohol and/or drugs, call (734) 377-4134 and let our staff schedule an assessment today!
Branches Counseling, PLLC: Victoria Winebarger, MSW, LMSW, CAAC, CAADC; Beth Bunn, MSW, LMSW, LCSW, LCAC
16801 Newburgh Rd. Suite 109, Livonia, Michigan, 48154: (734) 377-4134
Copyright by Branches Counseling, PLLC © 2014 All Rights Reserved